Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix review/ Cupcakes

Even though I'm usually skeptical about trying new brands, Jiffy is definately a brand I trust. Since I was a wee little girl, my mom has been using their Apple Cinnamon muffin mix to make pancakes. They are SOOO heavenly and so easy. I've also made their blueberry muffins and of course (surprise, surprise) their cornbread mix. I promised my next door neighbors some delicious goodies, so I decided to make yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

Jiffy makes delicious mixes but the BEST thing about is how cheap it is! This yellow cake mix costs 54 cents. You can't even buy a pack of gum for 54 cents!

Photobucket

I didn't take any step-by-step pictures, because the instructions on the box are pretty self-explanatory. It makes 12 cupcakes.

Photobucket

For the chocolate frosting I used a recipe I found in a Pillsbury cookbook we have in our apartment.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
from the "Pillsbury Complete cookbook"

-1/3 c unsweetened cocoa (or 2 oz unsweetened choc.) added to 2/3 c butter (softened)
-4 c powdered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
- 2-4 tbsp half&half or milk (I used milk)

Mix the cocoa and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. (This takes awhile- be patient.)
Beat in the vanilla and enough half&half or milk until it's your desired consistency. Use a butter knife (my preference at least) and spread over cooled cupcakes.


Photobucket


Photobucket
And another thing- when you go next door to deliver your cupcakes, do not leave leftover frosting unattended. Your roommate and her boyfriend will not be able to resist covering their faces in it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment