Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Beef Enchiladas

I'd been craving enchiladas for quite some time. I made enchiladas once last summer and for some reason they completely stressed me out. I think I made them the complicated way. Oh, and the rice I made with them was crunchy... which ruined everything! You have to do everything twice, so I made them again last night. The easy way. Word from the wise: Don't take the road less traveled. Trust me.


Photobucket
Here's what you'll need. 1 lb. ground beef, about 1-2 cups of cheddar cheese, 1 can of enchilada sauce (you can make the packet stuff if you want), 1 onion, corn torillas, and however much green chili you want.


Photobucket
Cook your beef with your onion and drain. Add your green chili and let it simmer for a few minutes. Gotta let those flavors mix. MMMmmm.


Photobucket
Let's talk about corn tortillas. They are nothing like flour (duh) and must have special treatment. I didn't realize this until I put my beef mixture in and when I tried to roll it up, it split in half like a crappy hot dog bun. So, being the amateur cook I am, I googled how to fix that little problem. The easiest way to keep the tortillas from splitting is to heat them in a pan for about 25 seconds on each side on medium heat.


Photobucket
Then, add your beef mixture. Sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on the inside as well.


Photobucket
Roll them up and seam down, place them in a 9X13 pan. Before you put any tortillas in it, pour half of your enchilada sauce in the bottom. You might notice that some of mine look fried. That's because they are. One suggestion was to fry your tortilla for a short period of time in oil. It worked fine, but simply heating them up worked just as well.


Photobucket
Pour the rest of your enchilada sauce and add however much cheddar cheese you want.

Photobucket
Cover with foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes at 350. You just need to bake them long enough for the cheese to melt. Ole'! --I don't know ANY Spanish (I took French) so excuse my lack of correct words to describe something delicious.

1 comment: