Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Browned Butter Blueberry Muffins (w/ Dewberries!)

Dewberries are everywhere in East Texas. I know I've already blogged about them once, but I'm a little obsessed. They're delicious and I feel kind of like Laura Ingalls Wilder when I bake with them. Living off the fruit of the land...literally. Anyways, this is Joy's recipe. I don't actually know Joy, but after reading her blog, you feel like you are on a first name basis. She's great...and so are her recipes.

The only problem I have here is that my camera battery died, and being the almost-college graduate that I am, left the charger in Lubbock when I went home. My mom has a great camera, but she left it in her classroom the day I baked these. I'm sure you are like, "Nobody cares, just get to the muffins please" but I figured I should explain why I only have one picture. If you get a hankerin' for muffins, bake these. You can of course use blueberries, but if you live anywhere in the South you can probably find dewberries growing on the side of the road. :) Just make sure you wash them first.

Here's what you'll need:

7 Tablespoons unsalted butter


1/3 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
1 large egg

1 large egg yolk (just crack it open slightly and let all the white filter out. You can pass the yolk back and forth between the two sides of the egg shell until all of it's gone.)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (I used one cup of dewberries)


For the Topping

3 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Put your oven rack on the top third of your oven. This will ensure that your muffins have that delicious-slightly crunchy top. Preheat oven to 375.
Melt your butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. It will crackle for a while. It isn't ready until the bottom of the pan turns slightly brown and the crackling slows. Remove from the heat before it burns.
Whisk your milk, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add the "brown" butter.
In another bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk/ butter mixture all at once and stir until combined.
Fold in your blueberries/dewberries. Since dewberries are pretty fragile, they might be a little runny. Don't worry too much about it. Just make sure your batter is stirred well enough.
Line your muffin tin with liners. Spread the batter evenly.
For the topping, just combine the above ingredients with your hands You'll have to get a little messy! Sprinkle the topping on the muffins.
Bake your muffins for about 18 minutes. Use a toothpick to see if they're ready.



I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but I had to make these using Christmas liners. It was all we had in the pantry, and I was too lazy to go to the store. haha Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment